1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen throwing up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Darrie, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Darrie

Darrie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Stewart, Tn
    I have notice my hen has been puffed up lately (3 to 4 days) and today when I picked her up she threw up clear liquid. I have vitamins that I can mix into water and thought this would be good to do for all my girls. They have not been able to free ranging lately due to the snow. I saw her drinking the water today and was hoping this will help her. Well I just went in to check on her and she is sitting by herself in one of the nesting boxes and when I picked her up again she threw up clear liquid which does smell very bad. Has anybody every have a chicken throw up and what do you suggest I should do to help over this???? My hen is on the older side, not sure how old as I adopted her with 2 others. I'm not sure about the poop since they are being kept in (they do have access to a fenced in area attached to their coup) I have all kinds of poop around. When my girls are being kept in I feed them lettuce and stuff as treats.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her crop, especially in the early morning when it should be empty. If it is full and squishy, with the bad odor you describe, she may have sour crop. If it is full and hard, it could be impacted crop. They are treated differently. Also, with coccidiosis and some other problems, there sometimes is sour crop. Symptms of coccidiosis are puffing up, lethargy, diarrhea ( sometimes with blood,) paleness, and poor appetite. Treatment of coccidosis is Corid (amprollium) for 5 days in the water. Here is a link to a good site on crop issues: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    X2
    Also they can have worms can cause crop problems. Deworm them. Bring her inside so you can keep her warm and monitor her poop. Sounds like sour crop.

4. Darrie

Darrie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Stewart, Tn
    thank you, I will get right on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by