1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

hen to egg matchup question - freckled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by srg81, Jul 24, 2013.

1. srg81

srg81 Hatching

Jun 30, 2013
    Hello everyone I'm pretty new to chickens and the site, but it looks like a lot of great info so I'm glad to be here. Let me start by asking, Will a hen that lays freckled eggs lay a freckled egg every time? We bought 3 hens that were already laying at a flea market; 2 cinnamon queens and a RIR. They were supposed to all be about 1 year old, but I'm wondering if the RIR is older and way past her prime in egg production. I've had them about 4-5 weeks and only had one day when I got 3 eggs. I'm trying to figure out who is the slacker. We think we've narrowed it down to the RIR because we noticed her going to lay and found in that nest box a light brown slightly elongated, pointy, freckled egg. We have only had 4 or 5 eggs like that, and they are very distinctive. Most days I get a very large pale brown, and a slightly smaller rounder dark brown egg, and I think we have tracked these to our cinnamon queens. They are all eating good - layer feed and lots of produce and scraps with plenty of bugs to forage for. What do you guys think?

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    my RIR eggs are sorta a pinkish color with white freckles all over. but the pink isnt PINK its just got a redish tint to the egg.

3. srg81

srg81 Hatching

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks. Today was another 3 egg day! The 3 eggs were very different and distinctive again. The light brown egg with darker brown freckles was one of the 3, along with the very large light brown and large medium brown.

4. srg81

srg81 Hatching

Jun 30, 2013
    Anyone else have any experience with speckled or freckled egg layers? Are they ever consistent?

5. R@ndy

[email protected] Songster

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Welsummers can lay Eggs with freckles lol

6. R@ndy

[email protected] Songster

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    They are decent layers of large Brown eggs with dark brown spots. From what I have herd a hen will tend to lay an egg with the same pattern of brown spots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by