Hen to Rooster ratio?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JenifferHartman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    I have a small flock of Americaunas. All hens. We recently started raising 8 more chicks. Same breed.. I believe we have 2 roosters in the new batch. we have 15 total. I know that roosters can be aggressive so I wasn't sure if having 2 in such a small flock would be an issue.

Also our chicks are just about 9 weeks old. I have been putting them out in the coop with the older chickens during the day so they can get used to eachother and being outside then I bring the younger ones in at night. Our older Hens are very aggressive with them so they hide inside the coop too afraid to try to get to their food.. I know there is a pecking order but should I wait until they are a little bigger to defend themselves before I put them together permanently? What can I do to make the transition easier on them?

2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I have 48 hens and 2 roosters there is no way I can put the roosters together. If I did they would fight to the death. Even when separated by a fence the one tries to attack the other through it.
    As far as introduction to the flock. I have had the best luck when they are separate but can see each other for a few weeks.

3. DaveMorey

DaveMorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Westminster, Vermont
    I currently have 32 hens and 7 roosters in the same pen. The pen is pretty large about 30x100. The roosters were all part of 20 straight run chicks I bout this April. The get into the occasional tiff but nothing to major yet. I am going to cull them to about 2 roos for the same number of hens. I am not overly concerned about fertilized eggs at this point since I have no immediate plans for incubating them. As for integration of separate broods, I went through this earlier this spring. I took sombody's advice on here and put them in the same coop with a fence divider so they could see each other but that's all. I kept the smaller chickens in the coop for two weeks and then combined them. There was some harrassment at the beginning. I kept a separate feeder and watered in the coop so there was equal opportunity wherever the younger chicks were. I also used scratch feed twice a day to give the older chickens something to do rather than harrass the youngers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by