1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hen to Rooster ratio?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JenifferHartman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chirping

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    I have a small flock of Americaunas. All hens. We recently started raising 8 more chicks. Same breed.. I believe we have 2 roosters in the new batch. we have 15 total. I know that roosters can be aggressive so I wasn't sure if having 2 in such a small flock would be an issue.

Also our chicks are just about 9 weeks old. I have been putting them out in the coop with the older chickens during the day so they can get used to eachother and being outside then I bring the younger ones in at night. Our older Hens are very aggressive with them so they hide inside the coop too afraid to try to get to their food.. I know there is a pecking order but should I wait until they are a little bigger to defend themselves before I put them together permanently? What can I do to make the transition easier on them?

2. Rich386

Rich386 Songster

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I have 48 hens and 2 roosters there is no way I can put the roosters together. If I did they would fight to the death. Even when separated by a fence the one tries to attack the other through it.
    As far as introduction to the flock. I have had the best luck when they are separate but can see each other for a few weeks.

3. DaveMorey

DaveMorey Chirping

Jul 30, 2013
    Westminster, Vermont
    I currently have 32 hens and 7 roosters in the same pen. The pen is pretty large about 30x100. The roosters were all part of 20 straight run chicks I bout this April. The get into the occasional tiff but nothing to major yet. I am going to cull them to about 2 roos for the same number of hens. I am not overly concerned about fertilized eggs at this point since I have no immediate plans for incubating them. As for integration of separate broods, I went through this earlier this spring. I took sombody's advice on here and put them in the same coop with a fence divider so they could see each other but that's all. I kept the smaller chickens in the coop for two weeks and then combined them. There was some harrassment at the beginning. I kept a separate feeder and watered in the coop so there was equal opportunity wherever the younger chicks were. I also used scratch feed twice a day to give the older chickens something to do rather than harrass the youngers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by