1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen to Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Quella, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    "After a couple of years of trial and error we've settled on 8 hens and 2 roosters as the right sized flock for our household. The two roosters are important. While you don't need roosters for hens to lay eggs, they provide an important role in the social structure of the flock, and if you don't provide a rooster, one of the hens will stop laying, and start acting like one! Again, a commercial operation would cull her, and cull the next one that did it, on down the line. "
    At this website--http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/chickens.htm
    Will the hens "become" roosters?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hahaha,,,, that happens very,, VERY few times lol,,, and only 8 hens for 2 roo's will cause you more problems then a "butchy" hen,, lol [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Even if it did happen, [​IMG] why 2 roos for 8 hens?

4. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    I have no idea. Just "chicken surfing", I guess, and that came on my computer. I thought it was 8-12 hens per rooster?

5. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    1 roo will take care of up to 10 to 12 hens on average. Some roos can handle much more than that. Some maybe a few less.

6. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know about the hen acting like a rooster,never heard that. There always will be a "pecking order", so one hen will be the alpha. But, I've never heard that she will not lay eggs.

You would not need 2 roosters for 8 hens, only one. If you had more hens, I've alway heard that 3 roosters were better than two.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree that 2 roo's will prolly become stressful on the 8 hens.

If the spring fights make your flock a nightmare, then it will be time to rethink the 2 roo theroy.

I prefer 1 to 14 ratio myself.

bigzio

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Bleh, you dont only need one rooster [​IMG] you can have as many as you want. unless of course it starts to cause problems.. As for the not laying part im not sure on, i have 2 hens i know of now that crow every morning and hatch chicks off every year. have had more then that

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    okay, confused again here..so, then why do they sell mating trios? 2 hens and 1 roo? i may want to breed some day..but..i wont have room for a zillion more roos and hens...how can i do this safely for the hens then? thanks, Wendy

10. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Redhen, I have mine seperated off in breeding pairs or trios. Thats fine. Its just when you have multiple roos, and not enough hens for both of then, they can fight and what not. I go with 1 roo to 1 to 12 hens, in most cases, just depends on the roo. Some roos may be able to handle more hens than 12 other may not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by