Hen to Tom Ratio?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MovieFanz, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    How many Hen and a Tom cover?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We do 4 or 5 hens per tom.

Steve

3. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    If you follow the information in the breeding manual (I posted in a thread below) and avoid inbreeding then it says

"Breeding Ratio of Males to Females

Generally speaking, healthy sexually mature males should be able to service 14-20 females.

Yearling or older males will service fewer averaging 8-14 only.

To further break down the ratio the following is recommended for the different body types:

Large type turkeys – 15 hens to 1 tom

Standard-size turkeys – 18 hens to 1 tom

Small type turkeys – 20 hens to 1 tom

melle1980 likes this.
  4. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Before I lost some of my turkeys to bad food, my ratio was 20 hens to 1 tom. I had excellent fertility. I do select for fertility with my breeding program.

5. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Quote:Thank You Oma, Thats exactly what I was looking for. I don't want to over bred my girls.

6. jtownchickens

jtownchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    i think i would listen to someone that knows turkeys before what i read from a website thanks for all your help steve of sandspoultry

7. OmaBird

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Quote:Do you know who wrote the manual? Maybe you should look up the authors. By Frank R. Reese, Jr., Marjorie Bender, D. Phillip Sponenberg, Danny Williamson, and Jeannette Beranger. I would think even Steve would tell you they are the experts when it comes to turkeys.

As a profesional breeder myself, anything that D. Phillip Sponenberg writes I listen to. No better expert when it comes to breeding anything.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. jtownchickens

jtownchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    As a profesional breeder myself, anything that D. Phillip Sponenberg writes I listen to. No better expert when it comes to breeding anything.

pro breeder? i just read all your past posts and you aren't even an albc member - you said so​

9. OmaBird

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Quote:pro breeder? i just read all your past posts and you aren't even an albc member - you said so

jtownchickens I know who you are. I have read all your post too.

I didn't say I was a profesional turkey breeder. I don't sell turkeys or eggs. But I do have a few hundered turkeys.

D. Phillip Sponenberg has wrote just about everything to do with genetics on all types of animals including turkeys. He is the guru of genetics and saving rare breeds from extiction.

Frank Reese with 4 others raise 10,000 turkeys a year. He has been doing it over 50 years. He has been credited saving most of our standard breed turkeys. He has the oldest line of bronze turkeys in North America. He is the only APA Turkey judge.

I wont be posting anything here again. I don't like hyjack threads like this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:WOW![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by