Hen to young to be broody?

Mamabear28

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2017
South Georgia
I got a turkey hen from the livestock sale i didn't realize how little she was till i got her home she not even looking or going near my tom so is she to young to mate? She also now tooken over duck eggs my duck was laying in a tire i filled with pine shavenings. she haven't come off it all day and she hisses and bites me when i try to look under her. Also could anyne tell me what breed they are?

Attachments

• 20180416_134940.jpg
    20180416_134940.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180416_140801.jpg
    20180416_140801.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 17
She looks old enough to mate, she may not want to or you have missed it. The hen decides when to mate.

If she was already broody when you bought her she would go back to that behavior.

She looks like a bronze or bronze mix.

She looks old enough to mate, she may not want to or you have missed it. The hen decides when to mate.

If she was already broody when you bought her she would go back to that behavior.

She looks like a bronze or bronze mix.
Ok my next question is will she go off the nest to eat and drink on her own? I haven't seen her off it since i found her sitting there Sunday night. The eggs were not being sat on by my duck yet tho my drake did sit them every once and awhile i know they are no where near hatching. Is this just how turkeys brood? Or should i be worried?

She might be broody, eventhough you said she is little. She may be old enough to mate. What you should do is to take her out of the place where there is no any egg. Tame her for sometime uptill the time the duck eggs are hatched.

Ok my next question is will she go off the nest to eat and drink on her own? I haven't seen her off it since i found her sitting there Sunday night. The eggs were not being sat on by my duck yet tho my drake did sit them every once and awhile i know they are no where near hatching. Is this just how turkeys brood? Or should i be worried?
She will get off the nest once a day, generally in the early morning, but it can be anytime. The eggs may not be any good. If you don't want her sitting I would remove the eggs and put something on the tire to keep her from setting for no reason. Once broken she should lay her own eggs within a month or so, and start her own nest to brood.

In my experience turkey hens come out for daily break once a day. So it is expected that she will go out unless if she was about to hatch her own eggs from where he came. Virtually about day 26 to 27. Remove her if she did not come out or she may starve herself.

Thank everyone so much! And no the eggs are good iv incubating 5 atm so i know they are but uselly with my broody ducks they only sit for a few hrs and takes 3-4 breaks to mess around unless it close to hatch. This is my first time with Turkeys i believe she has gotten off today for a few mins so I'm more then happy to let her hatch them and rasise them if she wants to as long as she keeps taking a little break to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom