Hen toenail is black

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TundraChick, Oct 18, 2007.

1. TundraChick

TundraChick Songster

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I have a hen who is holding her foot up and the middle toenail looks black, like its dead. I cant find any injury. The scales on that toe are a little rough. What would make the toenail turn black?

This hen has been showing signs of illness, puffing up, liquid diarhea. I cant fins vet who will see her. I can't get a poo sample cause there are NO solids.

2. Wow, that doesn't sound good. So sorry that i have nothing to offer in the way of experience or advice. i'm sure someone else will be along shortly who can help.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Usually a black body part means there's no blood supply and it's gonna fall off. If your bird is sick and has been for a while, she's gonna need a vet. If there's a Wildlife center near you, that might be helpful.
    Check the bottom of her "hurt" foot for a black spot.
    As for the diarrhea, you can still get a poop sample. Separate her from the other birds and put her on newspaper or papertowels, something absorbent until she poops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by