Hen toenail is black

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TundraChick, Oct 18, 2007.

1. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I have a hen who is holding her foot up and the middle toenail looks black, like its dead. I cant find any injury. The scales on that toe are a little rough. What would make the toenail turn black?

This hen has been showing signs of illness, puffing up, liquid diarhea. I cant fins vet who will see her. I can't get a poo sample cause there are NO solids.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, that doesn't sound good. So sorry that i have nothing to offer in the way of experience or advice. i'm sure someone else will be along shortly who can help.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Usually a black body part means there's no blood supply and it's gonna fall off. If your bird is sick and has been for a while, she's gonna need a vet. If there's a Wildlife center near you, that might be helpful.
    Check the bottom of her "hurt" foot for a black spot.
    As for the diarrhea, you can still get a poop sample. Separate her from the other birds and put her on newspaper or papertowels, something absorbent until she poops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by