Hen too good at hiding eggs (Advice?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ASalamander, Oct 17, 2013.

1. ASalamander

ASalamander New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    So two of my three wonderful Orphington hens started laying eggs about two months or so ago. True to form, they're laying one light brown egg every other morning. Blu is a good girl and lays in the nesting box that I planted a wooden egg in to fool her. Roo, on the other hand, is too smart for her own good and fins her own place to lay. The problem is that she's entirely too good at hiding her nests.

Okay, maybe part of the problem is also that I let her free-range on a huge ranch. So she's got lots of great hiding spots to choose from. It took me a month to catch on to her first nest nestled underneath a wooden pallet and by that time it had 25 (YES! Twenty five! I was torn between being proud of her and being mad) eggs in it. I dismantled the first nest vainly thinking that it would encourage her to lay in the coop like her well-behaved sibling. Haha. Nope. She simple found an even better spot to lay her eggs in without me knowing.

So I guess my question is how can I 'encourage' her to lay in the coop? The only trick I know of is the wooden egg, and she's already blown that out of the water.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    keep them locked up until early afternoon in their coop/run. should give them plenty of time to lay before going out to play. do that for a few days and see if it does the trick. if it is still not working you may have to keep them lock in for a few days so she gets the picture that she needs to lay close to home.

3. ASalamander

ASalamander New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    Hm. I'm not too consistent with the exact time I let them out of the coop. I'll try letting them out at around one-ish for a week or so and see how that turns out. If that doesn't work, it'll have to be lock-down on chickie-row. Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by