Hen tossing staw over back while walking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeccaSmith, Mar 26, 2012.

1. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I have a SLW hen that I saw picking up straw and tossing it over her back yesterday while walking. She had just gotten out of the nesting box in the coop and we had just finished cleaning the coop while she was inside (she wasn't very happy as she made lots of noise). We have wood shavings inside the coop on the floor and the nesting boxes and straw outside of the coop. She did this multiple times as she walked to join the other hens, I'm just wondering what it means or why she was doing this? I have seen hens tuck straw under themselves when building a nest, but she was walking and not making a nest! Any idea's?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

It was for luck. Just like we do with salt.

3. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    That sure is what it looked like...lol.

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    LOL! Yes, mine do this all the time. :) I like the salt theory.

5. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I was wondering if maybe it was because she was mad we disturbed her, although she didn't leave the nest box until we were well finished and not sure if she laid an egg or not since I didn't check when I saw her leaving. Or I was thinking maybe it was a sign she was broody?

6. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't mean anything - it's just something some chickens do (unless the salt theory is right [​IMG] )

7. toddreed

toddreed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Classic broody bird move. My brooder does it all the time when she is off the nest to go potty in between brooding sessions. It's an instinctual nest-building action, but it looks funny when they do it off the nest.

Only concern i would have is keep an eye on her to see if she is going broody. If unmonitered that can be a problem if they are brooding and not eating and drinking.

-todd

8. KitaMick1

KitaMick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    Today, my Light Brahma was watching my Leghorn in her nest. After the hen got off the nest and left the egg, the Brahma walked around the nest area tossing hay stems and dried leaves over her back. The Brahma had already laid her egg in a different nest earlier in the morning. It was pretty interesting and comical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by