1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen trouble

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken boys, Aug 11, 2014.

1. chicken boys

chicken boys Hatching

Aug 11, 2014
    PLEASE HELP!!! My brother and i are new to the chicken thing. We raised some chicks a couple months ago and now they are almost grown but not yet laying. One of our chickens(Peep) is acting very oddly. She crows and pecks at the other chickens and this morning i caught her mounting the only full grown chicken we have. We dont have a rooster fyi. What should we do? Will she lay? Should we eat her? Plz help!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Why are you so certain that Peep is not a rooster? Everything that you are describing is rooster behavior. Can you post a picture?

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes without a rooster a hen can take on that dominant role. But it would be much more helpful if you could post a picture to see that she is indeed not a he.

If it is a hen then you could try separating her for a few days. It usually knocks them down a few pegs in the pecking order.

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Songster

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I don't think you have any roosters. Except that one that you do.

5. krista74

krista74 Songster

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I think that with the exception of some rare instances, if it crows it's a boy.

The mating is another indication that makes me wonder if you have a cockerel there, and maybe not a hen.

If you could post a pic for everyone that would really help to nail it on the head.

- Krista

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Yes 99% of the time a chicken that crows and does the mating is a rooster, but there are rare cases which a hen will display these things. Not often, but it can happen. While I'm sure you feel very clever the sarcasm is unnecessary.

7. chicken boys

chicken boys Hatching

Aug 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. chicken boys

chicken boys Hatching

Aug 11, 2014
    [​IMG] sorry it took so long ime kinda new to this. And thank you so much for all of your help

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Im pretty sure that's a Mr Peep. Looking at the feathers toward the tail.

10. chicken boys

chicken boys Hatching

Aug 11, 2014
    Do you know what kind of chicken he is? We bought a peep (her as listed) from our local feed store

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: