Hen trying to crow like a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by onie, Jan 25, 2010.

1. onie

onie New Egg

Dec 26, 2009
    Adelaide
    My Isabrown hen of 2 years has been trying to crow like a rooster. This is only started happening since i got 4 silkies - one turning out to be a roo. She is the dominate female and i had to seperate the new silkies because she chases them then mounts them like a rooster [including the pelvic motions]. Is this usual?

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Interesting... I'd like to know the answer too. [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. DAS

DAS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    NW Wisconsin
    I'm not sure how unusual this is , but we had a hen who started to do this when she was about two years old. She was RIRxLB. She no longer laid any eggs. We ended up culling her along with some other roosters.

4. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    I have a Marans hen who started this for about two weeks. She is our most dominant hen and 3 of my 5 hens are broody right now. I think not having the others out in the yard with her caused her behavior to change? I really don't know, I'm just happy that she has stopped this past week, hopefully things stay that way!

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG]

6. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    If there isn't a dominant male around they can go and act like this. I saw my black austrolorp doing this and I read somwhere that it can get worse and they can stop laying eggs because they think they are a rooster:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by