Hen Trying to Lay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TownhouseSeramas, Nov 20, 2011.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I have a hen that has layed three eggs with the roo in the cage with her(she just started) and it was fine, but this morning I found her laying down with her tail up and no egg yet so I assume she's trying to lay. He keeps running into her or trying to mate with her, so she hasn't been able to. Should I take him out?

2. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    sure it cant hurt. but how much space is there and is she the only hen?

3. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    It's just the two of them, they are in a 2ft long 3ft wide and 3ft tall pen.

4. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    It is technically big enough, but I would try to get them a bigger area. Also as she is the only hen he will bother her way more than usual.

5. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Okay she still hasn't laid and I tried seperating them and she just pitched a fit. So I have no idea what to do...

6. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    Well lets also remember that not all birds lay every day. She is a new layer so she dosent have a set pattern. Unless you provide like 13-14 hours of light for them she will slow down about now anyway. So just watch for a bit I am sure it will be ok.

7. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    She finally managed to lay. And there is a light, the brooder is right next to their pen and I have alot of chicks right now so they get 24 hours of light. But now I have another question. At what age do males become fertile? And how long after a mating does it take for the eggs to become fertile? I can't tell if the eggs she's laying are fertile or not and she hasn't been laying on any of them. So I'm not sure if they're just not fertile or if she's a bad broody. [​IMG]

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    It doesn't sound like she is broody yet to me. She won't sit on the eggs till her instincts tell her to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by