1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Trying to Pass Broken Shell... What DO I DO???????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angel16, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

She is trying to pass the shell...... it happened about a hour ago. How can i help her???
    I hate to see any of my hens in pain, is there something i can do to help? Will she live?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't done this before, but after reading posts about it I will try to help. First you need to get a rubber glove and lubricate it--something like KY is best, but use mineral or other oil if needed. If you don't have a glove, just use your naked hand. Insert a lubed finger into the vent, and gently try to remove any shell parts or remnants of the egg. Be careful since the shell can cut the cloaca. Many times these eggs are soft shelled. If you get it all out you might try mixing some white vinegar 1 part to 4 parts water, and syringing it into her vent to clean out the contents of the egg. Try using 5-10 ml to do this. I hope this helps and good luck.

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An epsom salt hot bath might help clean up her bottom and help her pass any egg remnants, and a crushed Tums or calcium tablet can be given. Crushed egg shells are good also. Calcium deficiency is thought to cause egg binding. Be sure and dry her thoroughly with a towel and blow dryer. Keep her inside over night.

4. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    This happened to me too, last month, so I appreciate how worried you are. I put olive oil on my finger, after trimming my nail back so I didn't hurt her, then gently put my finger into her vent and pulled out what I could. I din't try the bath or syringe suggestions, but I did give her a does that day and the next of antibiotics. Brand names will vary depending on where you are, here in Australia I used Triple C.

She has recovered well and since laid normal eggs. This RIR is prone to thin or no-shelled eggs. I have shell grit available for them 24/7 but she just doesn't eat enough of it. I add to their breakfast wet mash about 1 tablespoon of shell grit (for 4 hens) or, sometimes, liquid calcium, called Calcivet here. I also give them greens every day - spinach, kale, broccoli etc are good. My RIR hen is only 1.5 years old, but she laid every single day for a year and I think her metabolism just isn't up to it. I wish I could persuade her to take a break for a while!

Best of luck

5. Angel16

Thank you For your fast replays!!!!
    It's been very cold here, -26 C I give all my hens crushed calcium tablets as well, It works quite well as my hens don't like eating enough to keep there shells hard. I guess she didn't eat enough of my mash.... the shell seems to have scraped her insides as she was/is trying to pass it, should i keep her inside in a warm dark place this week? To stop her laying and let it heal?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. Angel16

I brought her in last night and put her in a dark crate ( one of our dog crates) , She has food ( i wasn't sure if i gave her her normal 17% protein feed she might start laying even though she is in the dark?? I have given her ground oats, I grind them my self) and water as well as some greens. Last night i put some olive oil on my finger and felt to see if any egg shell was still in her, i couldn't feel any. Every time she tries to poop her prolapse comes out and she screams, ( i can see that as the egg shell was coming out it scraped off some of the skin, poor girl. ) . Also i can see that her vent, prolapse, and bottom are swollen. I'm giving her stuff to prevent infection and help with healing. That's all I've been doing. Is there something else i can do to help her?

8. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I think that is helpful to you..

I hope your hen will be okay soon!!

9. Angel16

Thanks, Her prolapse only comes out if she really tries and strains to poop... at least that's what i have seen happen with her this morning........

10. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    That is great. :) but I would keep eye on her vent often to prevent, or take care of it as soon as possible when it came out and didn't back in.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by