Hen Turkey broody on infertile eggs...advice? UPDATE with pics

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by brewmiss96, Apr 12, 2009.

1. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I want to get her a boyfriend, but in the meantime, do I let her keep sitting on the eggs or take them away.

If I leave her on the eggs and then get a tom do I take up the eggs then so they can have a fresh start?

I'm in completely new territory here.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Switch her eggs, put dummies under her, buy some hatching egggs. SIMPLE [​IMG]

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Quote:Hatching eggs that is what I was thinking of for a good feed the addition answer! LOL

4. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I had a turkey setting on eggs. It turned out they were not fetile when I candled them. I was at a feed store one day and they had couple day old baby turkeys and chicks, so I bought her two turkeys and two polish chicks. I switched out her eggs for babies and she sat on them for a couple more days and then brought them out. They follwed her and she loved them. She raised them up just fine and didnt try go back to being broody again right away.

5. brewmiss96

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    that is a much better idea than getting her a boyfriend. I mean, I want to at some point, but I'm hoping I will be moving to Oregon sometime this year and less animals = better moving opportunities.

Thank you!

6. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    You could get both turkey and guinea eggs to put under her since they have the same incubation time.

7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Like the poster below has stated already, you'd be better off going to a feed, TSC, or whatever in your area and get couple turkeys if Possible and something else you might like..

If lucky, that little turkey could be the boy friend..

8. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Avoid broad breasted varieties if you go shopping for a boyfriend or she will be laying infertile eggs again next year. [​IMG]

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    PEAFOWL EGGS UNDER HER !!!!!!!! or turkey poults

10. brewmiss96

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I found her a black spanish up the hill, but we are just out of city limits and I think if my brother woke up to a tom in the yard he would be ticked at me (No more animals sis!). Also a bourbon tom was on craigslist but his dad says he's rough on the hens and my girl is slight.... typical but I would worry about him ripping her up.

Right now I'm trying to see if I can move her to a more suitable location until I get some hatching eggs, or do you think I should just get poults?

Yeah, no Broadbreasted, that was her buddy until we ate her... my local feed store in McKinleyville specializes in heritage breeds, but everyone wants the turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by