Hen turkey not laying:(

Captain America

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
I am left with one hen turkey that will be 2 years old in April. She laid several eggs last summer/fall then quit and we haven't seen an egg since.

She went through a molt and got real skinny in the early winter. Now she has new feathers and has picked up weight because she is eating again. She acts like she thinks I am a tom. She actually loves me. No eggs. What do I do about her wanting to court me and really anyone that gives her attention? I would like to see some eggs. I used them in cooking.

Princess Leah is a Broad Breasted Bronze.
I'll send picture later.

Captain America

:welcome

Depending upon where you live (region/temps), it may not be time for her to lay. Some people's hens lay later than others. What are you feeding your girl?

Is it possible for you to get her a REAL boyfriend (A Tom)? Although a boyfriend does not make her lay any eggs but that may help with ending the courtship. It sounds like she is a lovable bird. A doll. :)

Princess Leah is a sweety. She is fed a regular turkey mash. We get it at Rural King. I hope she does start laying when the weather gets warmer and longer days. She has had days that all she wants to do is set in her nest, but no eggs. Thanks for your reply. In Martin County where we live I think I'm about the only one who has raised just a few turkeys. Bunches of Purdue Farms buildings with thousands of turkeys in them for food. These people are afraid they will take home a germ if they just talk to you. Captain American was Princess Leah's mate. He died in the summer or the vets put him to sleep. I was giving him shots every 5 days for bumble foot. It would clear up some then back again. High fever and pain. He was beautiful and a pet too. I had a wreath make out of his feathers and there is a nest on it with hollow princess leah eggs.....very nice.

Back
Top Bottom