Hen turned into a roo at >6 months?? WTH?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaMarcy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    What the ____ is going on in our coop?

We got our 7 poults over the summer, already 12+ weeks old. We added these average sized girls to our bantam roo. We then added 3 mature hens. The only crowing we've heard is our bantam roo. We questioned one of our barred rock poults at one point because of her large comb (much larger than sister's). We then started getting an egg a day, from said roo looking hen. (I would see her sit, get up and an egg be there so I'm quite sure it's her). So, since then we've isolated the roo to the other end of the house cause we think our scovies were beating him up. So, barred rock sister now has large comb like sis. Nothing too obnoxious. They are the same age and sister as far as I know has yet to lay an egg. They are the same age and #2 sis (they are both named Eliza Jane) has been laying for abaout 6-8 weeks. So anyway DH told me he heard a weird noise from the big coop. Alsmoat roo like. So I just heard it...sounded like a grouning/screming chicken. Then our roo down the yard crowed and there was a definite cock-a-doodle-doo from the big coop.. [​IMG]

Would a roo wait this long to start to crow???? Our bantam roo has a very distinct crow, and it's all we've heard till now.

I am so confused.

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

have heard stories just like yours...

3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    dont know whetherthis will help but my rooster is 16 weeks ( im too lazy to say months!)
    and he still runs about peeping, he has slowly started his man rituals but no crow just peeps .

our girls make more noise they are at pol and the older girls are 2yrs and restarting to lay after broody and they sound male !

i can here them inthe house with the door andwindows closed [​IMG]

4. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    If you have more than one roo in a flock, in my experience, only the alpha male will crow. It took my non-dominant male a couple of months to start crowing after I got rid of the dominant roo. This might explain the lack of crowing on your roo in question.

5. Artex

Artex New Egg

Nov 25, 2011
    I have a bantam hen and a bantam roo.....the roo crows ALL THE TIME. The hen will crow, like a rooster, when they're seperated or when she seems to need something. It's only happened a handful of times, though. I've read that it isn't uncommon for hens to do that sometimes. Mine sounds a lot weaker than a rooster's crow though....but they all sound different. o_O

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:[​IMG]

tell that to my bunch... i've got 4 roos, and it's a crow-fest. every day. I had 2 others that started at the same time, but have gone to freezer camp for bad attitudes. now the 4 will 'compete'. every day rain or shine. heck, my sultan roo crows when we go down to close up the coop between 10pm and midnight most nights.

at least they all co-habitate nicely. then again free range if someone gets bullied too much they just go hide somewhere away from the bully.

7. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Quote:This has been my experience also.

Had five roos, three brahmas and two BOs. At first only the two brahmas would crow. #2 and #3 brahma were culled. The #2 BO started crowing. He was culled. The #1 BO never did crow.

It was an interesting dynamic to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by