Hen turtleneck sweater/saddle with neck protection -"updated with warning"

Try e-mailing them and ask them if they will ship to Oz. If they won't, go onto Amazon and e-Bay and see if you can get it there. Sometimes these internet vendors will be willing to act as a middleman to facilitate overseas purchases.

This could be the perfect solution for one of my coronation sussex hens! She got a slash on her neck from one of my idiot roosters, and now she's gotten another one because the rest of the flock won't stop picking at the scab from the first injury. Chickens are such dicks. I'm worried that it will take a long time for the other birds to leave her alone because she has a big blue spot on her once beautiful white plumage from the antiseptic used to treat her wound. I'm actually not sure that the feathers will ever regrow due to the nature of the injury, so this could be the perfect fix.

I could have used one of those neck sweaters a couple months ago! I had a molting hen molt completely bald from the shoulders up and she was picked on so badly I had to put pinless peepers on everybody till she grew in enough feathers to cover her bare neck. At one point they had took a pretty big bite out of her. I separated her for while, but thought she shouldn't have to be caged while waiting for feathers to grow back in, so everybody sported blinders till it was all over.
lol.png

I am pretty good at crocheting, so I think I will whip one of these up for next year molting season. :)

Last edited:
Where can I fnd one? I need one for the neck down the chest and back. My CL hen is wearing a saddle and now her chest is bald and I know once them two places are covered that they'll go straight back to the neck.

Hi!

I just had a friend of mine knit one for me. She has a Facebook page, Judy's Baby Things. She made mine with a hood because my hen was injured at the top of her head, and she did it in a solid so they can't peck through the holes. I haven't tried it on the bird yet, as we have her in isolation until her wounds scab over and are well on their way to healing, but Judy made it with all sorts of modifications to make sure that the hood would stay on and that the piece was adjustable. She knitted it in red (it is Christmas, after all) and even offered to put white trim on it. You can see a picture of it on her page. Contact to her to see about a style, pricing and shipping.

Hi!

I just had a friend of mine knit one for me. She has a Facebook page, Judy's Baby Things. She made mine with a hood because my hen was injured at the top of her head, and she did it in a solid so they can't peck through the holes. I haven't tried it on the bird yet, as we have her in isolation until her wounds scab over and are well on their way to healing, but Judy made it with all sorts of modifications to make sure that the hood would stay on and that the piece was adjustable. She knitted it in red (it is Christmas, after all) and even offered to put white trim on it. You can see a picture of it on her page. Contact to her to see about a style, pricing and shipping.

Becareful with the bright colors especially red. That will attract the picking

Great idea, I am looking for something exactly like this for my chicken with an open wound on the back of its neck.
It's summer here and I would like her to have some outside time but flies are a problem. I was thinking I might be able to make something with a pair of tights coz they are stretchy, wool might be too hot.

Would your neighbor be interested in selling one of these? I have a chicken with a neck injury and although she is healed now, I am worried that when my rooster tries to breed with her, he will harm her already compromised neck. This wound is about a month old and she has a really nice scab growing, but she will never regrow her feathers or skin in that area. She has been separated with another friendly chicken but due to the mess that they are making in my tack room, i need move them soon. Tips are appreciated!

Nessy - my neighbor used an existing pattern on the internet and improvised the turtleneck by extending the rows of stitches upward, decreasing them as she got to the top. I had her make it about eight inches long so I could fold it over because we all know how chickens telescope their necks.

By the way, the hen pictured appears to be very cute and fashionable in her sweater, but she hated it and pulled all the stitches out trying to get the thing off. I had my neighbor modify it to a simple neck gator that I slipped over her head, but she unraveled that, too.

She is now sweaterless and even balder than before. She refuses to wear a saddle of any sort, and is so preoccupied trying to get out of it, she even forgets to eat. I gave up.

Would your neighbor be interested in selling one of these? I have a chicken with a neck injury and although she is healed now, I am worried that when my rooster tries to breed with her, he will harm her already compromised neck. This wound is about a month old and she has a really nice scab growing, but she will never regrow her feathers or skin in that area. She has been separated with another friendly chicken but due to the mess that they are making in my tack room, i need move them soon. Tips are appreciated!
Note the quoted post above......didn't work out so well after all.

Back
Top Bottom