1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen twisting neck, shaking *novice needs help please!*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3-ChickenMom, Nov 1, 2009.

1. 3-ChickenMom

3-ChickenMom New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    Hi - I am a novice chicken mom.. Have (3) 1 1/2 year old RIR's. Today I noticed one cowering by the fence, shaking. She is also twisting her neck in all directions with her mouth hanging open. She is free to roam in our small suburban backyard. No poisonous plants, bait/fertilizer, etc. around. Now it's night and she's in the coop, but standing on the floor. She's been losing feathers - all the long tail feathers just fell out - not sure if that's connected. We love our girl(s).. can you help?

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I am sorry, I can't but hopefully someone else can and will

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. 3-ChickenMom

3-ChickenMom New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks for the links.. any help is much appreciated!

5. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Isn't neck twisting a sign of the bird flu? I think I read that somewhere, maybe some one with more experience can help.

6. 3-ChickenMom

3-ChickenMom New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm happy to report that she seems much better this morning, so hopefully I just panicked. After lots of reading, I'm wondering if it is/was a crop problem, so I'm keeping an eye on that. Gave her yogurt and will treat with olive oil after work today if needed. Not sure what that terrible shaking was about but I'm really hoping it's over. Will update later.. thanks all.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Neck twisting is a sign of many things. It is a symptom. And with silkies it is not an uncommon occurrance. Aspergillosis, botulism, head/brain injury, vitamin deficiency and other causes are fairly common. With AI (avian influenza, not bird flu!) you would have more obvious symptoms such as respiratory symptoms. Central nervous system symptoms can occur in the rare highly pathogenic versions, developing late in the disease process (assuming the bird survives to that point).

8. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Quote:Neck twisting is a sign of many things. It is a symptom. And with silkies it is not an uncommon occurrance. Aspergillosis, botulism, head/brain injury, vitamin deficiency and other causes are fairly common. With AI (avian influenza, not bird flu!) you would have more obvious symptoms such as respiratory symptoms. Central nervous system symptoms can occur in the rare highly pathogenic versions, developing late in the disease process (assuming the bird survives to that point).

I'm not exactly sure why you felt the need to be so rude to me but I found the info I was speaking of.
    Here is the link http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/biosecurity/basicssigns.htm

The
    OP said her chicken had shaking and neck twisting, those are signs of (END) Exotic Newcastle Disease. Since it was on the biosecurity website with the Bird Flu I had the two mixed up. Also the OP said she has RIR not Silkies so I'm not sure why you are referring to them in your post. I made it very clear that I was only guessing hence the ? and the fact that I said someone with more experience could be more helpful.
    Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

3 Chicken Mom I hope you chicken is better now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by