Hen unable to walk well and very thirsty the past few days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyAz, Aug 3, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have a hen this morning that is unable to get up completely and walk. She was able to get out of the coop and to the run for water. The other symptom she is showing over the past few days was I noticed she drinks a lot, very thirsty.

I have brought her inside and given her electrolytes in her water incase it's heat related. She wasn't panting when I found her and she was able to get up a little and move when I reached for her, so she isn't completely paralyzed.

I do want to add that this past weekend we removed all the straw from the run. It had rained very hard here and was a soaking wet mess. I sprinkled it down with Sweet PDZ yesterday morning. We will be using sand to replace it. However, I hope I didn't stir up something nasty when we were removing all of it.

Any ideas on what could be going on with her?

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    hoe old is she? if ishe is around 0ne year old and the inability to walk becomes unable to walk, she may have a vitamin deficiency that can lead to sudden leg paralysis. This can be cured by giving her vit. B12 and vit. E supplements. It takes about two weeks to recover from. If she is young it could be Marke's disease, which they can survive but remain carriers, that is a viral infection. look up both in the search for more info. the electrolyte solution will help her out.

3. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    She will be 1 year in October. Is Markes a concern at this age? Actually come to think of it, she is from Ideal Hatchery, so likely was vaxed for that.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I would try the vitamins then, one year is to old for Marke's i believe. they can get the vitamins from the electrolyte solution too, or there is poultry vitamins at some feed stores

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by