Hen Unable To Walk Without Rolling Over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrowningsBarn, Jul 25, 2014.

1. BrowningsBarn

BrowningsBarn New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    One of our new spring Rhode Island Reds inexplicably began falling over herself a couple of weeks ago. She would stand, then her head slowly lowered and she barrel rolled over herself. We had her checked out, but no definitive answer was given. We kept her amply supplied with water and food, to which we added finisher. Either she was going to recover or become dinner. Her health improved and she resumed keeping up with her flock by stepping and barrel rolling all over the yard. Finally, she seemed back to normal ... until this morning. When we went out for first feeding*, she was across the yard, isolated and nesting. Now it seems we are back to square one. When she tries to stand, it is as if she cannot put weight on her toes and her head is too heavy for her body. Again, her head slowly lowers and she barrel rolls over herself. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions on how we can help her?

*Also first thing this morning, one of her sisters was dead laying on the ground next to their new coup. Last night was their first time nesting there. There are no signs of traumatic injury or attack. Bizarre, inexplicable & puzzling. All other chickens (last years' Rhode Island Red layers and this springs two flocks: one of Rhode Islands, the other a mixed lot the feed store needed to home, as well as the purchased & solo rooster, also a Red Island, who has been with us several months), all other chickens have been and still appear to be perfectly healthy. We are stumped.

Your time and feedback are appreciated

2. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    maybe stroke? had a turkey one time simular.

3. BrowningsBarn

BrowningsBarn New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    We have considered the possibility of head injury. But she stopped for a few days then started back. wouldn't a stroke be permanent?
    Thanks

4. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    perm. ? It came and went -she never got over it. somebody thought it was a stroke- I don't know?

5. josie83

josie83 New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    I think I may be having the same problem with my hen !!!??? How is yours doing?

This is my post :

I have a older hen who had been broody for almost 27 days well the night before last I'm assuming something attacked her I found her in the yard with her feet up in the air ! When I picked her up I didn't see any obvious wounds but now she can only lay on her side her legs move but it is like she can't stand up and she can't really lift her head ? She did have one chick hatch and is caring for it and wants to be with it in the small cage I have her propped up in ! She seems happy and is eating drinking and pooping !!?? I don't know what to do or if she will get better ?? Please help ! Thanks !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by