hen unbalanced, standing on hocks all day. help! ** more pics added**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviad51, Sep 6, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I posted a topic very similar to this a couple months ago and got many replies, but unfortunatly I tried everything that was brought up and none helped her. I figured I would post a new one to see what I could find.

My sweet B.O. Hen, Candace is pitiful. She is alert, no lice, no mites, no broken bones, great appetite..she seems extremely healthy. There is only one problem. She cannot walk at all. Its almost like she has no control over her legs. She usually stays in one spot all day. If she tries to walk, she usually ends up flipping over or falling. She is also very light. She stands on her hocks all day like in the pictures. We don't have any poultry vets around ):

Below is a list of things I have tried. If you think of something I should do, please help. Thanks!
    -oyster shells (for calcium)
    -yogurt (for calcium)
    -Wheat Germ (for vitamin E)
    -Vitamin B
    -PolyVisol
    -Wazine (round worm wormer)
    -Antibiotic
    -scrambled egg

Here are the pics---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Anyone?? She's getting so bad, I'm willing to try anything.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is Candace? and is she eating and drinking good? also if she's in one place all day where is her poo? look at her bottom and make sure it's not all stuck on her. We had a pullet a few weeks back that start having problems like that I put her in the dog kennel away from the other chickens, and by the next day her foot had started to draw up so we put her down. Haven't had any more problems like it either. I wish I could help. I know there are others on here that can.

4. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks for helping. The poo does not get on her. She must somehow get away from it. She has a great appetite, she's just very light. I started thinking maybe it was a severe case of worms. I have her with another chicken. If she does have worms, wouldn't the other chicken have gotten them by now? They have been together for about 3 or 4 months. Her feet have great grip. No broken bones, or anything. I just don't know what to do. I got Candace from an auction about a year ago, and she was full grown then. Im not sure how old she is now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    It could be Mareks Disease, or Lymphoid Leucosis. Not good I'm afraid.

6. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Is there a cure for either one?

7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Is there a cure for either one?

8. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, no. No cure for either Marek's or Lyphoid Leukosis. Both are contagious, by the way. If she has either, she could be a source of infection for your other birds. There are other diseases, too, that have neurological effects. Nothing short of a miracle will cure. I know you're trying to be kind and give that bird every chance...but do you think there's any quality of life for this hen in her condition?

9. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    If it was contageous, wouldn't the other hen have gotten it as well? They have been together for months.

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You say that if she does try to walk that she tips over. Does she tip over sideways or backwards? Does she stand like a penguin? Are her feet one to the front and one to the back? Can you give us some signs as to her usability of her legs? And how she does if you try to get her to stand? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by