Hen 'under the weather'---Deworming or dusting for mites or BOTH?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waghmg, Feb 10, 2012.

1. waghmg

waghmg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Hi, I've posted about my hen who has just not been herself for a while now...No respiratory symptoms...not eating as much and has not laid in probably 2 months or so. She'll will eat some grass and sometimes eat a little of her pellets and scratch around for bugs just a little but then you find her just standing doing nothing with her feathers puffed out....

Suggestions have been either mites/lice or worms. Can't say I've seen either but have not been able to get a good look at her poop for worms...she seems to scratch/preen a lot...Doesn't seem to be getting worse but is not getting better.

Bought some poultry dust for mites yesterday... Should I try that first? Was going to pick up some valbazen today as that has been the suggested wormer by most on the forum. Should I try both at the same time?

I'm really at a loss as to what to try. Thanks for your help.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Doing both won't hurt her. It may even help. If you are going to treat for mites, then I would recommend that you do a proper de-bugging- treat all the birds and their environment. No point in doing it if you only do it half-way.

Good luck.

3. waghmg

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks so much for your reply.

I really hope this helps her. I've never wormed her or treated for mites before.

Also replace her bedding and put the dust also in her coop, correct?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You'll probably have to order the valbazen online so might as well start with the lice / mites. Jeffers Livestock, First State Vet Supply and even Amazon are some sources for the Valbazen. Smallest bottle runs around $40.

5. waghmg

Mar 15, 2011
    Checked out the valbazen at First State Vet Supply because they had the smallest amt, 100 mL bottle. The smallest I can get around me is 500 mL. BUT....by the time I pay $9+ shipping for the 100 mL bottle, only save $2-3, so I've decided to get the 500 mL locally.

Just FYI for anyone who's interested...have to do your homework...the shipping costs can really get you!!

Also, have seen I need to give her 1/2 cc/mL orally with needleless syringe. If anyone sees that amt needs correction, PLEASE let me know!!

Thanks again for your help.

6. waghmg

Mar 15, 2011
    UPDATE:
    Got the Valbazen today at a local animal health store and fed it to her in some bread and to my surprise she ate it. She can be picky sometimes. Thought I was going to have to use a syringe and was dreading that.

Anyhow, have the poultry dust and will hopefully will do it later today or tomorrow. Have to make sure I can also get her bedding cleaned out.

Sure hopes all this helps her.

Thanks for the help everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by