hen unresponsive

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaznav, Feb 22, 2016.

1. kaznav

kaznav New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    can anyone help please I found my Rhode island red hen on the floor in her run I thought maybe my dog had scared her and she had fallen off her perch but im not sure she isn't standing and has her legs stretched behind her and her wings are splayed she isn't eating or drinking, although she has pooed normally she has been in good health prior to this

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my, I hate to respond because I'm not experienced enough to help with real emergencies but you posted 45 minutes ago and I don't want you to feel ignored! Sometimes new posts just get buried quickly with chat threads.

I do know that you should bring her in somewhere warmer than the coop (garage or in the house in a bathroom). Offer her water with electrolytes in it and possibly some of her feed wet and warm, kind of made in to a mash.

See if another more experienced member responds...

3. kaznav

kaznav New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    thankyou she has been inside for 24 hours now but not much improved

4. Bridebeliever

Do you have other hens? Are any of them displaying any symptoms?

5. Bridebeliever

How is your hen?

6. kaznav

kaznav New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    still the same not eating or drinking eyes seem alert but body unresponsive ..... today she emiting a bad odour im so confused as to what is wrong my other 2 hens are fine

7. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Hi,
    It could be a disease of some sort so you might want to research and see if her condition picks up as a symptom. Is it possible for you to move her legs, or are they stiff? This might be a strange idea and I have no idea if it has been done before but you might want to sling her up with straps running in between her legs and under her belly. That can help to give her some support and maybe get her to stand on her own so that she can maybe gain some control over her body. It is something that my dad has done with the cows out here on the ranch when they are hurt or unable to stand. I would use a soft strap, maybe bungee cords, possibly cushioned with cloth to hold her up. I have no idea if it will work but I think that it is definitely worth a try.
    How old is the hen? Is she laying eggs? Is there anything that might have gotten into the coop and scared her? How is her breathing? Check her temperature and heart rate, if you can. The average body temperature of a chicken is 41 to 45 °C (105.8 to 113 °F) and the average heart rate is 400 beats per minute. You can get the temperature by putting a thermometer or other temp-measuring device under her wing. Just make sure that the temperature tool is easily cleanable. Her heart rate can be found, I think, by gently pressing your fingers under her chin, or any other area where you can find a large artery. Make sure that you don't cut it off, just press enough for you to feel the pulse. Set a timer or have someone help you and count the beats for 15 seconds. A chickens heart rate is really fast so it will be hard but a rough estimate should be enough. Multiply the number of beats by 4 to see what the final beats per minute is. That information should help to decide what is wrong.
    I don't know about the bad odor. That is strange.
    Your hen could be stressed, sick, or something else. I will keep checking on here so keep me updated.
    Hope that this helps!

~chickenchick

8. Bridebeliever

9. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Is the bad smell coming from her beak if so it could be a probiem with her crop. Either sour crop or imoacted crop. You can search BYC on these 2 for more info. Other than that it sounds like Marecks.

10. kaznav

kaznav New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    firstly thankyou all for your advice, day 3 and she still the same I have looked at mereks and agree she has same symptons but we have had her 18 months so where would it have come from? my other 2 are healthy we havnt changed her environment or introduced any new flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by