Hen vanished

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jak2002003, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    One of my best hens has gone! I went to lock them in the coop for the night and realized she (my only pure white one) was missing.

She was there in the daytime when I fed them. She has never strayed before.

There were no feathers or signs of a struggle with a predator.

I was at home all day and the chickens never kicked up a fuss like anything was wrong.

What could have happened to her?[​IMG]

I thought someone might steal her, but that does not make any sense as they would have taken more than just one hen, and I would have heard noise (and unlikely in the daytime).

There are large python around here, but they only come out at night not in the daytime.

No dogs or other animals can get into my garden.

Sometimes (very rarely) the chickens fly over the back wall into the woodland, but they always are back in my garden for lock up time.

Its been 2 nights now and she still in not back.

I hate not knowing what happened to her and now I am worried that more will go missing.

My area has NO hawks so I know its not a bird or prey. My other thought was she has a nest hidden somewhere, but after two days I would have expected her to come back a least once for food. All the hens lay in the run or nest boxes also.

its strange why these things happen to the chickens you are the most attached to. I have many chicks and pullets and mix breed birds that I would not really get upset about if they vanished, but she was one of my original birds 3 years ago and very tame and good show quality too. [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    So sorry! I hope she returns! [​IMG]

3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Songster

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    This is exactly how one of my Cherry Egger pullets disappeared a few months ago. No trace of anything. She has never returned, but hopefully the outcome will be different with your hen.

4. 7heaven

7heaven In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2009
    If you have Pythons in the area, that would be my guess. Sorry about the story! [​IMG]

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Well I think I will give up on her coming home. Its been nearly 4 days now and no sight of her.

Still have all the others and no more have vanished.

I know from experience that the pythons usually eat about once a week. I used to keep ducks many year ago and they started to vanish at the rate of one every 7 - 10 days. After I lost about 5 my neighbor came knocking at my door at 2am saying to come and see a snake eating one of my ducks on the lake.

We went out and there was a huge 7 foot one swallowing a duck.

The duck were outside my garden and I had no real way to protect them so I re homes the rest.

These attacks always happened at night when the ducks were sleeping on their island.

I hope this snake has not come back! My bantams live in my walled garden and there are no places for the snake to hide. I lock them all in secure metal dog crates at night so they are safe them too.

I am thinking my white hen flew over the wall and then something got her (maybe the python).

If I loose another one in about a week I will know that probably is the snake and I will clip my birds wings so they can no longer get out of the garden.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Good luck....hope you don't lose any more!

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Today I got me missing hen back[​IMG]

I after nearly a week! I was putting the chickens away for the night when I heard some flapping and rustling from across the stream at the back of my house. I happened to glance over to see a flurry of white in the bushes - and then looking closer I saw my hens head!

I kept calling her to come back and rattling the food. She make a couple attempts to fly back over the stream, but the vegetation is so dense she kept catching her wings in the branches and leaves and falling back down. There was no clear ground to get a good take off, so...........

I jumped over the wall - ran along the stream about 5 houses down, where I knew there was an old irrigation bridge. Had to crawl over than in my hands and knees, not looking down - it was very narrow. On the other side push myself through dense bamboo and bushes, getting bitten by mosquitoes. Finally I got to the place opposite my house.

Then I had to clamber down the steep bank. I spotted her sitting at eye level on a branch. She let me just reach up and take her down. I was worried she would panic and fly off.

Then I wrapped her in my T shirt and did the same route back.

She has lost a good bit of weight, but other than that she is fine. I can't believe a fat, bright white, short legged bantam could survive all that time out there in the jungle.

Back with the other chickens she ran straight to the feed!

So happy to have her back. Was a good day today as my ring neck doves also hatched out their chick this morning.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    What a rescue! Glad you got her back!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! I wouldn't have put money on getting her back after a week! Glad for the happy ending to this story!! [​IMG]

10. kevintheroosty

kevintheroosty Hatching

Sep 30, 2012
    I have been having the exact same problem. One of our Easter Eggers (Probably the most pretty one) disappeared about 5 days ago without a trace. We searched our entire neighborhood to find her, but with no sucess. And now just a few hours ago another one has disappeared. I saw her this morning as well. Any help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by