Hen very lethargic and pale comb

Jul 9, 2017
I purchased rooster booster hoping that would help and it seemed to for a bit but yesterday I noticed she was extremely lethargic still and her comb looks awful. She shakes her head some and is eating fine. I put the rooster booster in her water but what should I buy to fell or what could it be? Should I try antibiotics?

I purchased rooster booster hoping that would help and it seemed to for a bit but yesterday I noticed she was extremely lethargic still and her comb looks awful. She shakes her head some and is eating fine. I put the rooster booster in her water but what should I buy to fell or what could it be? Should I try antibiotics?

Can you post a video or photos of her? (for video upload to youtube and provide us a link)

How old is she?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What does her poop look like?
You mention that she is lethargic, but is eating (drinking) o.k.?

Check her over for lice/mites, feel the crop to see if it's emptying.

She is eating and drinking normally. She will peck around then stop and fall asleep. Her comb is very pale. I keep thinking love and mites but what do I buy? Something tried to come in our coop a while back and I’m afraid it brought friends. What should I buy as emergency tx? Should I give her antibiotics?

I posted a video of her! Please help or any ideas, I don’t know what to do and have babies in the brooder I want a healthy flock before they go out there!

Use a permethrin based poultry spray or dust to treat lice/mites - also clean out and treat your coop too.

When was the last time she laid an egg?
Do you have a rooster? I notice that she has feather loss on her back.

The nodding off while standing like that is not normal - can you take a fresh sample of poop for testing?

Yes we have a Roo and what I thought the feather loss was from. But I keep thinking muted and why I put DE every where and doused her with poultry protector. I was told to get poultry dust and use a half a pea size of horse grade ivetrymicin I believe is how you spell it? I have it saved though?

I went this morning and got and purchased poultry dust and ivetamicin I think is how you spell and gave me entire flock a 1/2 pea size amount orally and dusted them and the coop. I went ahead and purchased Tylan and gave her .5 dose under her wing bc she seems worse today. She always would shake her head a lot which I now think was mites. She is actually walking and pecking 30 min after injection which is an improvement from this morning. We opened tractor supply this morning. I had no idea mites and lice could cause such issues!

Back
Top Bottom