Hen very lethargic.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roojoy, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Roojoy

Roojoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    Hi, one of my hens has been very lethargic. She is a silkie and went broody recently. When taken off her nest she would just sit there and close her eyes. She barely has enough energy to bock and won't eat. She now isn't showing any real interest in eggs. She usually rarely ever moves and just sits in the cornor of the cage I put her in with her eyes closed. I have been giving her water with garlic, vitamins, and sulfdimethoxine which is usually used for cholera and a few other illnesses. We have had a few rats in the coop which may have carried cholera but I am not sure if it really is this ilness.

2. Roojoy

Dec 22, 2013
    I have only seen her also poo once today but that may be because her appetite. It was a green colored and a bit watery

3. Roojoy

Dec 22, 2013
    She just pooed again. It looks more normal this time

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Have you checked her for internal and external parasites?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    It sounds like internal parasites and you should consider deworming. However, there are tons of diseases causing lethargy, but internal parasites are the most common.

6. Roojoy

Dec 22, 2013
    I did look at her poo and there were tiny black flat specks in it.

7. Roojoy

Dec 22, 2013
    Could sour or impacted crop cause her symptoms because I felt her crop still has something in it that was there last night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by