Hen very sick, red eyes, droopy lightened comb,

lornaleslie

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 20, 2011
1) What type of bird , age and weight-- Rhode Island Red, 1 year, average
2) What is the behavior, exactly-- stays to herself most of the time, walks around very slowly, stopped roosting, stopped laying eggs for a while then an odd shaped one over a week ago then no more, will not go in hen house at night, seems to maybe be trying to lay egg or is breathing heavy, wings droopy, started just no eggs, moving slow, then just got worse last few days, she is very thin now, her comb is not bright red anymore and droopy, and her eyes are red, not bloodshot but red colored, no discharge or anything, seems to want to sleep a lot closes eyes...

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms--10 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms--No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma--No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation--fixed the fence so she could no longer be in with goats, which she liked to do..could something like that cause stress? she is under hen house not near fence or gate?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all-- she will eat a few bites of stuff if I bring it to her and will sometimes take water from eyedropper

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc--just little squirts of white with watery stuff around it

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far-save a chick in water for last few days, terramyicin (4 t to 1 gal) not sure how much she is drinking, she eats some bread soaked with it and I have been able to give her some from an eye dropper, i flushed her vent with canola oil (just once, yesterday afternoon)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet-- I would prefer to treat myself.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use- wood chips hen house with large run

I have looked all over the boards and in my many chicken books and can't figure out what it could be or what else to do, should I worm her also, there are so many possibilities....any help would be appreciated
BTW she is in with 4 silkies and we live outside Los Angeles, CA
Thank you-Lorna

Quote:
Thank you for providing us with so much information. It really helps when trying to help you figure out what's wrong with her!
smile.png

The most urgent question in mind is: how is the temperature out there? If it's upper 90's, you could be looking at heat fatigue. If she's panting with her beak open, holding her wings out from her sides, and having very liquidy droppings, it's probably heat-related.

Another possibility is that she is egg bound. Is she standing tilted upwards, sort of like a penguin? Or is she spending a lot of time in the nest boxes? You did a good job oiling her vent, if there's an egg stuck, it will help it to slide out more easily.

Your supportive therapy sounds great, but if the antibiotics aren't making a difference by day 7 or 8, it's probably wise to discontinue them or they will only make her worse.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry your first post has to be in the emergencies section.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom