Hen very vocal.....

Wil781

Songster
Apr 29, 2018
Central Alabama
Tonight I went down to put my girls up and one of my girls was talking it up, she had her wings slightly held out. I'm a little concerned because it was almost dark and she wasn't letting me check her over she wanted to get in the coop on her roost. Her crop was full, she wasn't walking funny or anything but with all the squawking I'm wondering if she was needing to lay an egg or maybe had one stuck. What happens when she is ready to lay and it is to dark to go to nesting box? Is that when you find one on the poop board? Would she be holding wings out slightly if needing to lay an egg? If anyone can advise i would appreciate it!

I’ve had no personal experience, but she might be trying to lay an egg or maybe that was her alarm call that danger was nearby.
Some other folks out there will definitely help and correct me if they can :)

Mites can make them vocal. I would check her.
Checked her and others and no mites.
Could very well be!
How old is this bird?
Is it hot where you are?
Wings out can mean they are hot.
. She is 21 weeks old, it was about 88 degrees yesterday but has been much hotter. Today suppose to be 91 so I will check and see how she is acting here in a little bit. She was fine as could be this morning when I fed them. So maybe a fluke thing.

Could very well be!
How old is this bird?
Is it hot where you are?
Wings out can mean they are hot.
Update: the hen or should say pullet that was acting off last night is normal today but now her sister is way off. Didn't eat, crop empty before going on roost, doesn't want to be touched and she is usually very social, her comb is pale. Now I did notice feathers in the coop more than usual. Could she be going thru a juvenile molt, egg production has been off for last two days, one isn't laying. My girls are Golden Comets if that matters. Your input please!

Back
Top Bottom