Hen w/ injured hip?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wild Prime, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Wild Prime

Wild Prime Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Idaho
    My 4 year old Golden Laced Wyandotte appears to have injured her right leg in some way, I think it might be her hip. The leg is completely relaxed and she can not curl her toes, and the leg is cold to the touch. Her left leg is fine and she uses it to support all of her weight. She cannot walk at all; she just kinda hobbles around, using both of her wings. I started giving her a 5mg aspirin in 1 gal of water this morning and am force feeding her as she seems to have no appetite at all. She will not eat or drink on her own. She usually just sits in the nest with her head down and her eyes closed, and she sits on her bum with her right leg out in front of her and her left leg beneath her. I got her to take 2 steps today but i had to support her the whole time, and she keeps her eyes closed almost constantly. I don't know what else I can do for her; going to the vet is not an option.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Judging from what you stated regarding her injury... not being able to curl her toes nor walk, leg cold to the touch, not eating nor drinking, eyes closed and head down is a good indicator that her quality of life is going downhill. Perhaps to relieve her suffering, it might be best to put her down. I've dealt with these types of injuries and it's only a 50% chance if they recover. Yours doesnt sound like it. I wish you the best.

3. Wild Prime

Nov 4, 2011
    Idaho
    I just went out to check on her and she looks like she is getting ready to pass. I thought she was dead and had to look really close to see that she was still breathing. I had hoped since her color was looking better that she would recover but I think that she is going to pass in her sleep tonight.

4. Wild Prime

Nov 4, 2011
    Idaho
    So my hen is still alive and I have moved her to her own box full of straw. She seemed to be a little more alert today and was trying to stand in her box. She seems more willing to sit up instead of flop down. I am going to continue making her eat and drink and see if she continues to improve

5. Wild Prime

Nov 4, 2011
    Idaho
    My chicken passed away last night in her sleep [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sorry. Sad things happen sometimes. I still don't know why.

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Sorry she didn't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by