Hen w/ swollen foot and lump

SweetTea&Chicks

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2017
NW Georgia
Hello! My two year old Partridge Rock is currently suffering from a swollen foot and a bump on her foot. I noticed this a while ago and checked her feet for bumblefoot but there was no scab. There’s still no scab to indicate bumblefoot. Just recently I’ve noticed it’s given her problems while walking/running. She’s a freerange hen that we use for eggs but is also a pet. The bump is firm but you can press it and it’ll move, just feels like something swollen. There’s no discoloration or redness. Could it be gout or possibly bumblefoot? Or does anyone know what this is? Sorry if the camera quality might be a little low my brother took the photos. Thank you!
E84301A1-4E34-400C-A26B-B6DE332467DF.jpeg
0EDF5463-91E4-48FF-8931-B4A9FD7FF3D9.jpeg
42923083-7E67-4841-968E-545364552F59.jpeg

Is there any swelling in the other foot or ankle? It might be a sprain, but it does appear to be some mild bumblefoot on the foot pad. Gout usually appears in both feet, and the toes appear lumpy. Mycoplasma synovitis can also cause swelling of the ankles. Here is some reading about bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
I would probably investigate the bumblefoot, but you may want to force her to rest the legs for a week or so to see if her limp and the swelling gets better. A wire dog crate with food and water left near the other chickens, makes a good hospital pen.

Is there any swelling in the other foot or ankle? It might be a sprain, but it does appear to be some mild bumblefoot on the foot pad. Gout usually appears in both feet, and the toes appear lumpy. Mycoplasma synovitis can also cause swelling of the ankles. Here is some reading about bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
I would probably investigate the bumblefoot, but you may want to force her to rest the legs for a week or so to see if her limp and the swelling gets better. A wire dog crate with food and water left near the other chickens, makes a good hospital pen.
I checked her feet again for Bumblefoot and didn't notice any scabs or the starting of a scab. I'll definitely put her somewhere to rest and see if the swelling gets any better. Thank you so much! EDIT: There's no swelling in her other foot/ankle.

Back
Top Bottom