hen waddling like a duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FINALLY!FransFlock, Dec 5, 2010.

1. FINALLY!FransFlock

FINALLY!FransFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    18 month old EE hen drags back 1/3 of body on ground, uses wings to keep balance and waddles like a duck. Laid a perfect egg today, eats good, drinks water, preens and let me palpatate stomach with no fussing. Yesterday she was perfectly fine. Has laid 3 eggs in 4 days and has just finished molting. Any ideas?

2. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My guess would be that she's eggbound.[​IMG] They waddle like you said when they are.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Merck's or paralized ?

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    you can try to give her some vitamin B12 and vitamin E in her food, also, some electrolyte solution in the water. Sounds like it may be due to a vitamin defficiency. I had the same thing happen to one of my hens at 18 months, during a molt, seems the molt can be stressful in them. My hen went from fine to unable to stand up and walk. After five days of vitamins she began to stand and stumble around, then by the end of a week she was walking and is still fine months later. hope this helps

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Up date for my mom's hen. She has now laid 3 eggs in 2 days. 2 of them today. She is holding her tail a bit up off the ground but is still waddling around. As long as she is laying that should mean that she is not egg bound right????

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I wanted to add that this morning she laid another egg. She is some kind of laying machine right now. She is laying a egg in less than 24 hrs. Does this mean she might have been backed up?

7. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'd say that she's not eggbound then.

Sorry but it's out of my league now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by