hen walking backwards with her head down.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonic164, Nov 21, 2011.

1. sonic164

sonic164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I recently got 4 what look like black rock hens. 3 Of which are alright by one is very underweight and scraggy she's being kept separate. I got them on Saturday and they were all in a bad state. as I said 3 have recovered greatly but one is still unwell and acting strange. I also have 1 polish and a leghorn cockerill the 3 have settled in with them nicely but there other seems to have a problem with my cockerill she keeps trying to challenge him through the wire when we let her out. At first she walk back with her head down to him. And ever since has just been doing it randomly. she goes back about 5-10 steps and if she walks into something she just try's to go through it. I've heard that disease can course this but in ever other aspect she seems healthy (with the exception of being underweight) there's no evidence of worms or mites on her so I'm unsure on why she is doing this.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that strange behavior is a vitamin D deficiency. I think that baby vitamins without iron will help with that.....

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    you would be bettery off posting this in the emergency and illness page

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've seen that behavior from a couple of my molting hens recently. I think it's just a submissive behavior, like she's saying "don't mind me, I'm not looking for any trouble." The opposite behavior is when they stretch their necks up and challenge another hen to a stare off.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Interesting. Have you got any link to a source or study that suggests there could be a link between this specific behavior and a vitamin deficiency?

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    sounds like wry neck maybe

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes, when another hen thunks my Panda on the head, she'll do that. She also does that if she gets a piece of lint or cobweb on her eyeball, like she's trying to back away from it.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When I install a saddle/apron on a bare-backed hen, she will walk backwards all over the pen, with her head down, trying to back out of the offensive garment. I agree, the behavior, more often than not, is probably due to the chicken trying to get rid of something foreign that's bothering her.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    if she walks into things and tries to go thru it - do you think she has vision problems??

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would post this under the disease section....good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by