HEN walking odd? Arthritic?

MissDeb

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Mat-su Alaska
I have something strange going on with one of my BCM hens. She has been laying under the heat lamp on the floor. Not roosting and is showing no
signs of illness except she gets up to walk and looks like an old lady. Walking as if she is arthritic or its painful to walk?

OccamsTazer

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
My remaining rooster does the same thing, acts very stiff in the legs. My poor rooster Godzilla had to be put down because he became paralyzed in his legs.
I thought it was just because they're crappy birds from Ideal, since those two are/were related and none of my other birds are ill.

Someone told me it could have to do with excess minerals because the roos eat the layer pellet but don't lay eggs to excrete the excess mineral.
That doesn't help you though...
I'll be following this thread for sure!

chookchick

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Olympia WA
Please give us some more info on your hen--how old is she, is she laying at present? What is her diet? Have you looked her over closely for any unusual swellings (especially in legs/hocks), pests, injuries? What do her droppings look like?

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I am reading a lot of reports of adult onset Marek's disease this year. I'm not exactly sure why there are so many, but it seems like quite a few more cases than usual.

Top Bottom