Hen walking strangely -- possible leg injury?

Emrosenagel

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
Hello,

Earlier this month I had a very sick hen (3 1/2 year old Rhode Island Red). I spent a week giving her antibiotics and feeding her recovery food and yogurt with a syringe. She recovered beautifully at the beginning of last week and appeared to return to her normal, active self. She was eating, drinking, running, scratching. But about a day ago I noticed that when she walks or runs, one of her legs goes so high up in the air that she stumbles. It's almost like a limp, but not quite. Like she can't control how far she lifts it when walking. It got a little worse, as today she didn't want to walk all that much. Her appetite is still very strong, though.

Could this be due to some kind of deficiency? I have one hen that limps on and off, and another who just can't jump at all. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello,

Earlier this month I had a very sick hen (3 1/2 year old Rhode Island Red). I spent a week giving her antibiotics and feeding her recovery food and yogurt with a syringe. She recovered beautifully at the beginning of last week and appeared to return to her normal, active self. She was eating, drinking, running, scratching. But about a day ago I noticed that when she walks or runs, one of her legs goes so high up in the air that she stumbles. It's almost like a limp, but not quite. Like she can't control how far she lifts it when walking. It got a little worse, as today she didn't want to walk all that much. Her appetite is still very strong, though.

Could this be due to some kind of deficiency? I have one hen that limps on and off, and another who just can't jump at all. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Video of her walking would be very useful. You can upload it to YouTube or Vimeo or any other online video platform then post a link here.

Back
Top Bottom