Hen wants me to be her roost buddy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tdgill, Oct 21, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

It's hard to watch them put themselves to bed at nite. They are sooo fussy about who is where. Tonite my little EE hen with the muff decided she'd roost with me. Flew up to my arm and snuggled into my chest with her head under my other arm. So we sat. For a good 15 minutes till it got dark and I had to put her with her best fella. They snuggled up and stayed put. Going to work on other roosting setups tomorrow. I'll probably just be stirring things up enough just to mess up their routine. But I have two age groups and some antisocial individuals and too many boys to figure out. so I'm thinking more roost options might help. and looking like another coop too!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, time for another coop!

I do love to listen to the conversations at roost time. I imagine it means something like this:

"Betsy, get your wing out of my face."

"Rebecca, did you see what Bernadette did today? With that BANTAM rooster, Charlie!"

"Hey! You're in MY spot! *I* sit next to Carl - I ALWAYS do!"

"I'm so full. I just love it when our person gives us rolled oats!"

"I like rolled oats too. Do you think we'll get rolled oats tomorrow night?"

"Carl, you are so big and so handsome!"

"I'M HANDSOME TOO! I'M HANDSOME TOO!"

"Oh, shut up, George. You're a quarter the size of our Carl."
    ...etc.....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  3. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i find it both hilarious and hard to watch them too. the things they do to try to wiggle under or climb over each other. and sometimes one of them will make a bold move and in the process knock two or three of them off with her.

but it's so sad to see the one or two towards the end so unhappy with her spot. i always tell them that they have to get up there earlier and stop diddling around scratching in the sand. they never listen though.

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    my 5 hens always argue about who roosts where, and my roo gets mad and gets up and gives them all a peck so they can all calm down, its so funny to watch

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Love this!!!
    Quote:

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking its just what they DO... regardless of the set up. Enjoying your posts!

eta: She was just SO cute last nite. Snuggle, snuggle, peeking around to see where everyone else was. Then burying her little head in the crook of my arm again. Making her little chrrrr chrrrr noises

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    gotta love it- they have little conversations- and our roo just gets up there with sleepy eyes and ignores all the fussy girls! and our littlest hen spice can be so ornery, she will go make sure everyone knows she is second in command and she can roost ANYWHERE she pleases...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by