Hen wants to stay on porch, suggestions to re-join flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Silverose, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    I have 7 hens and 1 roo, (had 4 more roo's until recently) they freerange all day, however, one hen has figured out how to get onto the railed porch, where she hides all day. at first i gave her food and water, since the roosters had been chasing her, and she was panting, but now that we are down to the one roo, I'm trying to get her to re-join the flock.

I tried keeping them in the coop/fenced run all day but she just stays inside on the roost all day. is there any way to encourage her to join them, or is she just always going to be a loner? she's also the tamest, and allows the kids to pick her up and pet her, so of course she's their favorite.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Make her come off the porch to eat. I had the same problem until I started feeding all the birds in one area only. She will probably rejoin the flock after a few days.

3. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I'm having a similar problem trying to get a broody hen back to the flock . I shall keep an eye on this post to see if anyone has any advice. Good luck hope she goes back, mines been hanging around the house for 6 weeks now. Coincidently she is extremely human friendly too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by