Hen was attacked by a hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dunnskie1217, Nov 11, 2013.

1. dunnskie1217

dunnskie1217 New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    We believe our chicken was attacked by a hawk or crow. I hear a scream outside 3 days ago and ran out to find her lying face down with her eye swollen shut (or missing?) and her neck twisted. I moved her into her coop on her perch. She laid an egg then made it down from her perch to the bottom of the coop where she's been ever since. She is not eating but appears to be drinking water. I know the twisted neck means neurological issues. Is there any hope for her making a recovery? Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to put her down if it is not necessary. Any help is appreciated!

2. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    You should put her in a dog crate so you can watch her better and let her rest. I would get some chicken vitamin and electrolyte solution and give to her in the water. Try giving her things like scrambled egg, cooked oatmeal. When you say her neck is twisted, I'm not sure what it looks like. Could you post a picture? Is everything else on her body okay? If it was a predator attack.........I'm sure they'll be back.

3. dunnskie1217

dunnskie1217 New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Thank you. We're thinking that she is partially paralyzed now. Thinking that maybe the hawk tried to pick her up and take her and then dropped her so now her neck is kinda crooked. Looks like an owl sortof. Is there anything I can do to help nurse her back to health? She doesn't appear to be in pain. She is able to move around a little awkwardly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by