Hen was attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amandawv, Oct 10, 2015.

1. amandawv

amandawv Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    i believe it was my dog but I can't say for sure but I found my hen with huge lacerations all over her and in obvious shock. I hurried and have her a warm bath to wash the debris away and cleaned her wounds and stitched them up. Everyday applying triple antibiotic ointment. Today I removed the stitches and she seems to be doing GREAT. I had her in a dog crate and isolated inside for the past week. She's getting along as if nothing happened with the other hens. I think I'm going to let her back in the coop tonight. Does anyone have any advise?

2. amandawv

May 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    3 days later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Be careful to check on her first thing in the morning at daylight, to make sure the others don't peck at her red skin. I would get some BluKote or Gentian violet and coat her red skin to hide it, or put a little t-shirt over her wounds. Since she has been gone a week, they may treat her as an enemy. You have done a good job helping her.

4. amandawv

May 2, 2014
    She was perfectly fine this morning. She seemed to resume normal pecking order.

5. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

My godness! Good job on healing her! Glad to hear she is recovering well! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. amandawv

May 2, 2014
    Thank you. I'm kinda proud of myself lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by