Hen was dead in nest box. What happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krzybo, Feb 1, 2011.

1. krzybo

krzybo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    One of my Orpingtons was dead in the nest box when I went out to check on them. Her butt area was all torn up and she still had an egg in her. She was acting normal yesterday and was roosting last night. If she had been egg bound wouldn't she have been acting different? This is the second hen we have lost that was torn up in the butt area. What could be going on? We have had hens for 3 years and this is the first set of deaths we have had. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they got fat over winter, the build up around ovaries and reproductive tracts can cause them to strain and "break" something.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That, or she was egg bound. Was she herself 3 years old? Often hatchery-based hens, at ages 2-4 years, can die due to egg related issues.

4. krzybo

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    She was 7 months old and I wouldn't say she was overweight. Would her being in the nest mean she was trying to lay? I feel so bad because we didn't know something was wrong. She acted fine yesterday. She came up to me to be petted like she always did.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I know it sounds bad, but have you tried cutting her open to see anything out of the ordinary in her?

6. krzybo

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    We saw nothing unusual. We don't really know what to look for. There were no worms or anything like that. She did have a whole egg still in her.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That whole egg could have been stuck, and her straining could have given her a heart attack. Sometimes it happens. Most worms and internal parasites you won't see by eye, however, with that, if she was a healthy weight, she probably didn't have a terrible infestation going on either.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    What do you mean when you say "torn up"?
    sharon

9. Martin Grove Farm

Martin Grove Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds egg bound. Some hens succumb to it a faster than others.

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It sounds like she had a prolapsed vent. Not necessarily egg bound, except as a result of a prolapse, as she says her butt was all torn up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by