Hen was egg bound in late summer- hasn't laid anything since?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roxyblue, Dec 19, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hi Everyone!
    I posted about this a while ago, but didn't get a clear answer.

Over the summer in late August-maybe earlier- one of my hens had trouble passing a shelless egg. Heres is how I treated her:

I first brought her into the house and gave her a warm bath,I massaged her and she almost fell asleep, but no egg.

I waited for her to pass the egg, nothing, so as last resort I lubricated my finger and retreived the egg from inside of her, please keep in mind that it was a shelless egg.

Heres were it becomes strange......I only managed to scoop the white of the egg out of her, no yolk, she did however pass a membrane. Later I had her wrapped in a towel sitting on my lap and I felt her pass

something else, it was an egg yolk! Surprisingly it was incased in it's own membrane.....funky egg right?

Anyway, getting to the point, Gloria (the hen) hasn't laid an egg since. She did go through molt a month later, and I don't supplement light in the winter so none of the girls are laying right now.

Whether Gloria lays an egg or not doesn't matter much, she is strictly a pet and has a permenant home here. I'm just curiose I guess.

-Also, she did get egg bound with a shelless egg in the spring, only once though and it was a normal egg that she passed after a bath.
    -She also time to time passed an egg that was shelless, only maybe 3 times though.

She will be two years old in march and began laying in febuary of this year.......

Thank you so much everyone! any advise or opinions are very much appreciated!

-Roxy

-Also PLEASE forgive me for my awfull spelling, It's something I need to work on. [​IMG]

2. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    any ideas?........[​IMG]

3. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG]

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    It just sounds like to me that she might have a problem with egg production, some hens do. This if she is the only one doing this and has a good diet. I hardly every experience this type of occurrence. Since she is a pet, then you can put in the extra effort to keep her. Also you could see about getting her fixed, so that the problem does not keep recurring. Internal layers, hen prone to being egg bound, and other hens with reproductive problems have lower survival rates unless extra care is provided. I don't know if any of that helps.

5. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Oh yes it does help, I guess the answer I was hoping for is that she will start laying eggs again. [​IMG] .
    But like I said earlier, she is a pet and has a home here for the rest of her years.
    I haven't gotten in egg in around 6 weeks from anybody, I'm blaming this on molt and decreasing hours of light. My girls are fed layer pellets and a small amount of scratch, with a couple pieces of lettuce every morning to help make up for the lack of grass. I give them small treats, an apple, yogurt, daily and they get to free range for a few hours a day. I can not wait for spring!
    thanks!
    -Roxy

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    There are a lot of people with hens not laying or not laying well recently. I think most do to molt, weather, and shorter daylight hours. I only had a few laying during this period, but they are starting to pick back up. Sometimes older hens start back later. You might start getting eggs again pretty soon. [​IMG]

7. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I hope. [​IMG] I miss the girls eggs. Even the free range, and organic eggs at the supermarket aren't the same!

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd wait till February or March when days start to lengthen and if she still doesn't lay I'd cull her. If she was 11 months before her first egg she probably wasn't a productive girl from the outset.

9. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I'd wait till February or March when days start to lengthen and if she still doesn't lay I'd cull her

she's a pet......and top of the pecking order, and a sweetie. I could never cull her her or any of her friends.
    But thank you for the reply!
    -Roxy​

10. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    gah! double post oops! my computer is acting up again!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by