Hen was on the nest this morning, but no egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AMChandler, Mar 24, 2011.

1. AMChandler

AMChandler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Missouri
    When should I start getting worried?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What do you think you should be worried about?

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    How old, how long was she on the nest Did she sleep on the nest any other problems with the hen.

4. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    alot of times hens go into the nest and lay nothing if she is not sick looks good eating drink etc nothing to realy be worried about i say

5. AMChandler

AMChandler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Missouri
    She's acting fine, she's about 7 months old. Just wondering if it's normal to sit in the nest and not lay an egg? They are never in there unless they are laying, and how long before she's showing signs of being egg bound?

Edit: I guess I'm just worried about them and the new chicks too. It seems problems and death are way more frequent for chickens then for say, cats. I'm never worried my cats will be dead in the morning!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Sometimes my hens sit on the nest for a while even when they don't lay eggs. I think it is around the time of day when they do lay eggs so I figure there must be some kind of egg laying bio-rhythm that makes them want to sit. They don't lay every day but there are several eggs maturing in their systems all the time so there's always egg making stuff going on inside them. It's nothing to worry about.

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    At that age they are still working the kinks out in their system Mine use to go into the nest boxes at different times I think its their way of figuring things out. I would not worry unless she starts acting sick not eating or drinking. I don't worry about my hens unless I notice something really wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by