Hen Wasting Away, still eating, blue comb

KaraJo5

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
My 4 year old New Hampshire Red suddenly developed floppy blue comb with no signs of respiratory strain. There are moments when her comb looks better, but most of the time it's blue and getting worse. She is eating (a little less but eating still) with decent crop sizes at night but she is seriously emaciated. She goes out and forages with the others but she is slower and weaker. Her feathers are ruffled like she isn't preening. I saw her poop twice today and it was clear liquid with urates. About a week ago her poop looked normal. There are no mites present and I can't figure out if she has worms. I did swap her throat tonight (I think I did it right) for gapeworms and I didn't see anything on the qtip. I can't find anything that could be the cause. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks for any insight anyone can offer. - Kara

My 4 year old New Hampshire Red suddenly developed floppy blue comb with no signs of respiratory strain. There are moments when her comb looks better, but most of the time it's blue and getting worse. She is eating (a little less but eating still) with decent crop sizes at night but she is seriously emaciated. She goes out and forages with the others but she is slower and weaker. Her feathers are ruffled like she isn't preening. I saw her poop twice today and it was clear liquid with urates. About a week ago her poop looked normal. There are no mites present and I can't figure out if she has worms. I did swap her throat tonight (I think I did it right) for gapeworms and I didn't see anything on the qtip. I can't find anything that could be the cause. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks for any insight anyone can offer. - Kara
If it is something, then I don't know what it could be. I think your chicken is just dying. It's random but she is 4 yrs old so... @Lemon-Drop @Kiki correct me if it's a disease of some sort. This happened to one of our BOs not long ago, there was nothing we could do, she was overweight and healthy.

If it is something, then I don't know what it could be. I think your chicken is just dying. It's random but she is 4 yrs old so... @Lemon-Drop @Kiki correct me if it's a disease of some sort. This happened to one of our BOs not long ago, there was nothing we could do, she was overweight and healthy.
Thank you for your response. I was thinking that's what it is, but if there was anything at all I could do to help her, I wanted to. I appreciate your time.

:hugs I agree, the blue comb I know isn't good (circulation) ... If you what to keep her going, need to up her intake, try scrambled eggs, moisten dry cat food, tuna, Flock Raiser (moisten). You may want to find a Vet to help you :hugs Hate this part of raising animals :(

Just to update what happened. My hen passed away this morning, which is about a month and a half after my post. She didn't suffer, but she looked horrible. Her comb became shriveled and flopped over. It looked like she was wearing a beret. Her feathers were disheveled. She ate and drank every day and foraged with the girls, most often being the last one in. She did gain a small amount of weight. I gave her some NurtiDrench - the rapid response dosage of 1cc just to keep her happy as long as I could. She started sleeping on the bottom of the coop, but seemed content and would eat treats through the wire fencing. Last night I could tell her fight was over and this morning she was dead. I am waiting to hear back from a local necropsy laboratory. If I get information on what killed her, I will be sure to post. Thanks to everyone.

Just to update what happened. My hen passed away this morning, which is about a month and a half after my post. She didn't suffer, but she looked horrible. Her comb became shriveled and flopped over. It looked like she was wearing a beret. Her feathers were disheveled. She ate and drank every day and foraged with the girls, most often being the last one in. She did gain a small amount of weight. I gave her some NurtiDrench - the rapid response dosage of 1cc just to keep her happy as long as I could. She started sleeping on the bottom of the coop, but seemed content and would eat treats through the wire fencing. Last night I could tell her fight was over and this morning she was dead. I am waiting to hear back from a local necropsy laboratory. If I get information on what killed her, I will be sure to post. Thanks to everyone.
I'm so sorry. :hugs

I’m so sorry for your loss. May she Rest In Peace.

Back
Top Bottom