1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen weak and not moving...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken farmer, Jul 22, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I have a hen that I think is a white rock or rhode island white but the last couple days I was watching the chickens in the pen as I always do and she goes to the other side by herself while the other chickens are together on a log or something and she hasnt been active or real excited to see me for treats or anything and today I went up there and she was laying by the coop ladder half way off with her wing hanging on it and i picked her up and scratched her head and she closed her eyes then i put her on the ground and she stood for a second then she laid down and started to close her eyes and its sprinkling right now and she just laid there in the muddy dirt so i put her up in the nest box so she could be in a dry comfortable spot for now and I held the waterer in front of her and she didnt drink and i held food in front of her to and no eatin now I'm asking what can I do.....I need help FAST PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

2. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    When you picked her up, was her weight ok? If she felt really light, have you checked for parasites (mites/lice/worms) recently?

Can you feel her belly just in front of her vent and see if there is a stuck egg? I've had a couple of hens die from laying complications, and that is how they acted toward the end.

Can you feel her crop? is it "squishy" or hard or empty?

Let us know.

3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    She felt light but I didnt check anything else you said but good idea I will have to

4. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I just checked her and her crop is EMPTY!! I didn't see any parasites,didnt feel no egg what can i do?? her crop was flat as a glove with no hand in it

5. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    OK, she's probably not eating properly. Unfortunately there are lots of reasons for that.

You might do a search for starving or "empty crop" in this forum.

I'm anything but an expert, but sometimes they just fade away. Last spring I lost my gold laced Wyandotte. She just dropped dead in the run. I couldn't find her in the yard and went looking for her, and she was on the ground in their straw shelter. She looked perfectly healthy, just dead.

The other two I've lost have had problems with laying. Sometimes there just isn't a reason. It is tough being a chicken.

If you have an avian vet, you might try that, but they are expensive and even they admit that sometimes there just isn't an answer.

6. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Yea I can't get a vet on it but do you think things like yogurt and water electolytes would help if i got her to eat/drink?

7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I don't see your location. Are you in one of the areas that has been very hot lately? Could it be heat stress?

When I had a hen in heat stress, I took her inside to the tub and ran cool water over her feet to help cool her down. Then I gave her water with vitamins and eletrolytes (the electrolytes being the important part). When she was feeling better, I mixed some kefir (similar to yogurt) with some feed for her. I also gave her a dose of Belladonna 30C (a homeopathic rememdy). She spent the night in the house and was fully recovered by morning.

I hope she gets better soon. [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I'm in Ohio..how do you put your location on here???And I don't think it is heat stress because she was drinkin water a couple days ago up till now

9. mg15

mg15 Songster

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, give her electrolytes, yogurt, scrambled eggs. Use a syringe if you have to. Bring her inside the house. She needs special care until she revcovers. Give her a box with a cozy thing to sit on and talk to her. She will understand you are trying to help her. I would do this right away.

10. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: