Hen went broody, died 3 days later

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lorihadams, May 5, 2009.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I had a hen that I thought was going broody. She hunkered down in the favorite nesting box on 1 egg and after one day of her not moving I snuck 4 more eggs under her. For the next 2 days she stayed put. I put food and water directly in front of her and she drank some water but I never saw her eat. I checked on her this morning and she was asleep when I looked at her. She woke up and looked at me and then turned and tucked her head back in her feathers. I figured she went back to sleep. After making her a separate coop we went to check on her this evening and she was gone. I don't know, what happened? Any theories? She looked normal to me but I just can't figure out why she died.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Could she have been egg bound? That will kill them pretty quick..... They will sit on a nest too trying to lay the egg.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So sorry you lost your hen. [​IMG]

4. So sorry. My guess too is she was egg bound. It happens. Do not beat yourself up.

5. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    What do you do if they become egg bound? Do you have to take them to a vet to have the egg removed? What causes it? Sorry, I just don't want it to happen again. She was such a sweet girl....

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    [​IMG]

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Sorry about Bertha! I am sending you some info I have about egg binding. We put a heating pad under a nest inside the house and let the hen sit on that. The heat relaxes the muscles, which may help the hen push the egg out.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG] That's too bad about your hen.

10. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas