Hen went Broody...had chicks. It's going to snow...help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleMoon, Mar 22, 2013.

1. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I have the mommy and three babies in a large metal cage off ground, outside. It is half covered with a tarp and has straw at bottom. Should i pile in the straw and coat the edges so no cold gets in the holes? Will she be enough to keep them warm?

I could bring them inside...but I have like six cats inside, and little room.

2. LONDON HENS

LONDON HENS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Does the hen have a coop of some sort she can take the chicks into and away from the wind especially. She should be able to keep them warm but I would coat the edges of the metal cage just to help out

3. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    if you can cover the sides and top to keep direct wind off of them, I think you will be fine

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Not sure where you are but we've had freezing temps overnight since my hen hatched hers last Saturday. She is in the coop in a large wire dog crate. I put cardboard around the bottom to reduce drafts and made sure that she had extra hay to add to the nest if she wanted to.

The babies, 10 of them, have been fine. I did add a low wattage light (75 watts I think) by their food and water so the babies don't chill to fast while eating. Yesterday we only got into the high 30's during the day.

5. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I might try the cardboard thing. I live in southern Indiana.

It's been in the 30-40 range here of late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by