Hen went broody how to put more eggs under her?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, Dec 4, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    A silkie hen decided today is the day to go broody..But i want to put more under her. How can i do this with upsetting her to much?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

3 AM with gloves an long sleeves. Seriously she should let you do it without issue but some can hurt you so I ware something thick an do it at night.

Also tells ya for sure that they are broody when they are on the nest at night. Ive had a lot that I thought were but then went out after dark an hey were on the roosts.

Dont put to many. If she has trouble covering them all she may keep moving them an none will hatch.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    i'll just slidem under her slowly holding the egg under my hand just in case she pecks they wont break,but most of the time they would let u doit [​IMG] dont be scared the do maken that noice as a warning sing [​IMG] hey maybe they would peck depends on your chiken [​IMG]

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    thanks. I want to give her 2 more as i think there is only 2 as i pick them up all the time. She was in the same box last night but i scared her. I didnt wait for her to go back in the nest . I just took the 2 eggs that was there. Then this morning she was in there again. SHe didnt move when the dogs passed her and myself. I will know more tonight. but i am pretty sure she is.

5. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    yea if she got scared, the it's best u wait till night [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by