Hen went off Eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chasinglights27, Oct 30, 2011.

1. chasinglights27

chasinglights27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    Today October 30th, is suppose to be day 21 for my 6 Serama eggs. On day 19 the eggs began to hatch. [​IMG] This afternoon "Mommy" (Serama Hen) took the 4 chicks that hatched out and left the nest. There are still 2 eggs left and the eggs were rolled out to the side. I thought they were duds, so I candled them just in case. I see chicks moving in side. She wont go back on the nest and I don't own an incubator. [​IMG] So I put a heat lamp over them in hopes they will hatch. Does anyone else have any advice on what else to do??? [​IMG]

Here she is with the 4 chicks who hatched on time.
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if they pip keep the membrain moist. try some heat packs around them to keep them warm. i am new and incubating so i really cant help [​IMG] its what i would try and do also mist them with a little water.

3. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Make sure it is hotand humid. I don't know what the best method would be. Might be best to bring them inside. You could even use your own body heat if you have to.
    [​IMG] good luck!

4. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a cooler that is styrofoam or plastic you can put a 25 to 40 watt light in it and a jar of water with a paper towel or sponge in it to increase the humidity. then cover it with a lid or plastic sheeting and you have a makeshift incubator. You could also use a heating pad instead of the light but the eggs must be kept at 98 to 101 F. This is best I can think of on short notice.

5. chasinglights27

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    Thanks, Ill try the best i can do. [​IMG]

6. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Someone here had a similar problem and hatched hers in her cleavage. I believe it was after lockdown time. I don't know if you're a woman...or in my case if you don't have enough cleavage...but its a thought!!

7. chasinglights27

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:Nope I don't have that option!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:Nope I don't have that option!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] I don't either...my 14 year old niece told me that if I ever needed her services she can help me since I was lacking in that area. And I was breastfeeding at that point....she clearly is a smarta$$!! lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by