1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen wheezing and sneezing... Tylan 50?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Loving My Peeps, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    I have a 9 month old RIR hen that started sneezing and wheezing yeserday. Her breathing seems worse when inside the coop than when outside free ranging . I tried to give her Tylan 50 orally to no avail. Resorted to injection by pinching the skin between the shoulder blades and injecting .50 cc slowly. She was fine with it. I have not quarantined her because I have 4 week old babies being brooded in my other area. No signs of sickness other than the sneezing and wheezing when in the coop. Eyes are normal, eating and drinking are normal, acting normal..... My question is how long do I give the Tylan 50? Tonight's injection was the 1st dose. Her breathing a few hours later was as normal as could be. Should I continue to treat even after symptoms have disapated?

How long to refrain from eating her eggs? She has continued to lay as usual, so I didn't want medicate until tonight to see if she was still producing and she was!!! I am treating her for Respiratory infection but if chickens could get colds this would be it. She is not sickly just making some wheezing/moaning sounds and sneezing.

Any way how long is the egg withdrawl period for Tylan and how long should I administer it?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

I give my standars .35cc for 3 to 5 days but if it real bad I will give it to 7 days. I wait 2. Week before eating the eggs. I give the injection in the breast or neck but draw first to make sure no blood. Good luck!

3. Loving My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Do you continue to treat even if all symptoms are gone? I only gave one injection and it worked within hours.

4. Loving My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    anyone???? This hen was sick for 1 day then the mediation worked within hours and she is fine. Do I continue to treat?

5. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Yes, continue for at least 5 days. It is just like when the doc gives you 2 weeks of antibiotics, they always tell you finish out the course, even if you feel better, otherwise, remaining disease elements can develop a resistance to the effective medicine, and then you get a stronger bug that you cant kill!

Keep up the treatments even if she is better, and watch the other birds closely, respiratory illness is easily spread!

Good Luck!

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm no expert, but most say to treat for at least three days. That is what I would do.

7. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    once everyday. 3 to 5 days. or untill its get better too, I agree.

I usually use tylan 200. 1cc orally in mouth. Havent had to yet, but I should stock up for winter. Not like last year.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by