Hen wheezing? Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PandCo, Feb 1, 2017.

1. PandCo

PandCo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    My Buff Brahma is in the middle of a molt and today I noticed her wheezing as she breathes. She still is able to make her other noises such as when I pick her up but this wheezing seems to be constant.

What can I do to help her? There have been no changes or additions to my flock so to can't be an infection from a newcomer. She's also eating and drinking just fine.

Please help[​IMG]

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Sorry for the late reply.

How is she doing now?

Molting can be stressful and lead to minor issues such as lack of appetite, a lowered immune system, and catching a chill so once the molt has passed they often perk up again.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any nasal drainage, watery eyes, or sneezing? If there is only wheezing, there could be something in her throat like a piece of food, mucus, or her crop may be overly full and contents are coming up. It's been 3 days since you posted, so is she still doing this? Sorry for the late response, and good that GitaBooks answered.

4. PandCo

PandCo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    It's definitely gotten better than it was in the course of a few days now, though she isn't talking much either so it's hard to tell if she's completely well. I had taken another close look at her after I posted and noticed she had been preening a lot of her feathers out near her throat/upper neck under her beak. So I'm thinking that the constant bending of her neck in a contortionist fashion put a strain on her voice box. Maybe.

No noticeable drainage, everything is clear.

What do you think?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look at your coop conditions. Mold or wet spots, dust in the coop or dusty feed, poor overhead air circulation, or too hot of a coop can lead to respiratory issues. I would just keep an eye on her--you seem to be pretty observant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by