Hen Wheezing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wild--Star, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Wild--Star

Wild--Star Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    My pekin cochin seems to be wheezing. She has been doing it for a few weeks and it seems to be getting worse. It sounds like short sharp gasps. She sometimes gasps from the mouth a little and sneezes. The wheezing is not all the time either, just at random.
    Just needing to know what this may be due to? She seems normal other than this.
    I believe she is a carrier of MG but i have not seen any symptoms for a very long time.
    Can anyone help me on this please? It would be much appreciated xx

Honestly i do not know what i would do without this site..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    Somebody please help...

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, sorry to hear about your chicken.

A couple of options spring to mind (if one discounts going to a vet).
    1. Add vitamin supplements / electrolytes to the whole flock's water - this should give the immune system a boost and thus help deal with the issue.
    2. Treat the whole flock with broad spectrum antibiotics - it will help fight off secondary infections (but not the virus) and also treat with point 1.

Hope this helps a little

CT

4. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    Hi, thankyou. I will do what I can. Thats good advice. I have got some antibiotics I am putting them back on but I cannot remember the name. Its a powder that goes in their water.
    I am Also giving another one of my hens who has a cold and is separated, yogurt, garlic and apple cider vinegar in her water as well as the antibiotics.so I may have to start doing the same with my other two hens.
    If it was up to me I would take her to the vet but unfortunately it is not and we are a little strapped for money but if she gets worse I will insist.
    We gave her some bread soaked in olive oil and massaged her crop just incase something was lodged in her crop or throat but I doubt it seeing it is been going on for a while and comes and goes at random.
    Thanks again,for the help and kind words.

Any suggestions on what may be the cause?
    Could it be MG symptoms reoccurring? I thought that only happened if hen was under stress. Also there are no bubbles in her eyes... I research this stuff but there are always at least 10 different possibilities.. :/
    Hoping she gets better. Anymore advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks all

5. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are welcome and hope it works out. It seems to me that there are so many overlapping symptoms when it comes to respiratory diseases that, without consulting a vet (and thats not a guarantee) its very very difficult to diagnose. Some members do not support the administration of antibiotics without specifically having a diagnosis - I personally don't follow that school of thought. If antibiotics and vitamins do not work, then I cull - for me, its that simple.

CT

1 person likes this.
  6. Wild--Star

Sep 22, 2015
    Australia
    ah yes, i do not cull as my hens are my pets but yeah..so i am hoping my little ones will be okay.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by